Physical Agility Test
The Initial Employment Physical Agility Test will be an “Obstacle Course” style test. The events of this test are designed to test the different muscular skeletal systems of the body and assure they the applicant has full functionality of these systems. The events of the course are also designed to replicate movements, activities, and actions that a Police Officer can and will encounter in the normal course of their duty.
A strict time limit will be set for the completion of the course. If the applicant cannot complete the course in the allotted time, he or she will be given fifteen (15) minutes of rest, at which point the applicant may attempt the course again. If the applicant fails the course a second time they will again be given fifteen (15) minutes of rest, at which point the applicant may attempt the course one final time. Three (3) failures of the course will result in disqualification from the hiring process and the removal of the applicant from the eligibility list.
We are providing a Physical Agility Course Practice Days.
- Monday, September 10th: 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 11th: 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 12th: 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, September 13th: 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Register to take the scheduled Civil Service Exam by contacting the GPD Training Division or the City of Galveston Human Resources.
- Pass the Physical Agility Test which will be held on the same day as the Civil Service Test for those who pass
- Submit the Personal History Statement Personal History Statement and required documents:
- Please right click the following link and select "Save As": download the document (PDF).
- Open the file with Adobe Reader which can be found online.
- Please note the document will not open in the window if you simply click on the link. Most users will see a screen that simply says "Please Wait". If you see that error, please right click the "download the document here", save the file to your computer, and open using Adobe.
- Background Investigation will commence
- Applicants MUST NOT have visible neck or facial tattoos
- Applicants MAY be subject to a Polygraph Exam if their background investigator feels that they have been deceptive during the Background Investigation
- Chiefs Interview / Conditional Offer of Employment
- Physical (Medical) Screening
- Psychological Evaluation
- Galveston PD In-service Academy
- Sworn in as a Galveston Police Officer
All Certified Peace Officers hired will start as Police Cadets until they are sworn in. Certified Peace Officers with previous experience will transfer in their years of experience up to and including POIII and after being sworn in will be paid accordingly.
Salaries are based on a 10-year step program starting at $38,804 Cadet Pay with annual step increases topping out at $68,190 Senior Officer Pay. There is also aModified Lateral Pay Scale for Texas Peace Officers who are eligible up to $64,090 (Police Officer V Pay) depending on prior years of service.
View the full list of police salaries (PDF).
Insurance and Sick Leave
The City of Galveston pays full premium for health, dental, and life insurance for the employee.
Sick Leave – accrued at a rate of 1 1/4 days per month for a total of 15 sick days per year.
Injury Leave – Police Officers injured in the line of duty receive full pay for up to one (1) year.
Officers receive financial incentives for continuing education at the following levels: Bachelor Degree – $2,400.00 Yearly, Advanced college degrees (Masters, Doctorate) – $3,000.00 Yearly.
Officers also receive financial incentives for advancing their TCLEOSE Certification in addition to college degree incentives: Intermediate TCLEOSE Certificate – $1,200.00 Yearly, Advanced TCLEOSE Certificate – $2,004.00 Yearly, Masters TCLEOSE Certificate – $2,496.00 Yearly.
All uniforms and equipment are provided to new Police Officers upon hire. Thereafter, Officers receive $1,000 per year in equipment / uniform allowance.
Shift Differential Pay
Officers assigned to Evening Watch (2pm-10pm) – $83.00 per month. Officer assigned to Night Watch (10pm-6am) – $167.00 per month.
Officers who are fluent in a needed foreign language and pass the City of Galveston fluency exam receive an additional $75.00 per month.
0-4 Years of Service – 10 days per year
5-14 Years of Service – 15 days per year
14+ Years of Service – 20 days per year