Galveston, TX – Jan. 18, 2019 –We invite members of the public to join us for a meeting next Thursday about beach access for the island. As the City works toward updating its Beach Access and Dune Protection Plan, we want to hear your recommendations.
The Beach Access and Dune Protection Plan Review Ad Hoc Committee has been meeting since June to develop recommendations for updating the City’s beach access plan, which was last revised in 2004. The council-appointed committee is made up of various stakeholders. The eventual document will serve as a master plan for Galveston’s 42 beach access points and environmental care of the beach.
The public meeting will be held next Thursday. This meeting is an opportunity to voice your recommendations, have an informal Q&A with the committee and provide public comment.
What: Public meeting about beach access
When: 5:30 p.m., Thursday January 24
Where: McGuire Dent Recreation Center, 2222 28th Street
Guiding Principles for the Beach Access Committee
- Free and unrestricted beach access should be available to the citizens of Texas, meeting or exceeding the Open Beaches Act
- Promote diversity of uses in a safe and sustainable manner
- Ensure the integrity and sustainability of the natural system and resources
- Respect and recognize the rights of adjacent private property
- Meet the GLO’s accessibility guidelines
- Encourage beach patrons to utilize beach access points with amenities
- Provide consistent, clear and adequate signage