2020 Census Complete Count Committee
- Mary Longoria
- Sam Malchar
- Joan Oelze
- Robert Quintero
The Complete Count Committee is staffed by the City of Galveston's Planning & Development Division. You can reach planner Daniel Lunsford at (409) 797-3660 or email@example.com.
This page will be updated with meeting information as it becomes available.
About the Complete Count Committee
On February 28, 2019, City Council adopted Resolution 19-009, thereby establishing a Complete Count Committee program which:
- Is encouraged by the U.S. Census Bureau to increase awareness of the Census and to emphasize the importance of counting "everyone once, only once, and in the right place";
- Is composed of five (5) members of the public appointed by City Council per Resolution 19-009 (City Council may, at its discretion, also appoint an ex-officio);
- Aims to create actionable strategies to increase awareness of and participation in the 2020 Census;
- Can assemble sub-committees as needed; and
- Is essential to Galveston for ensuring representation in the House of Representatives and distribution of federal funding and grants that rely on population.
About the 2020 Census
As mandated by the U.S. Constitution, our nation gets just one chance each decade to count its population. The U.S. census counts every resident in the United States. It is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution and takes place every 10 years. The data collected by the census determine the number of seats each state has in the U.S. House of Representatives (a process called apportionment) and is also used to distribute billions in federal funds to local communities. (Source: U.S. Census Bureau)
The next census in 2020 will require counting an increasingly diverse and growing population of around 330 million people in more than 140 million housing units. To get an accurate count, the Census Bureau must build an accurate address list of every housing unit, maximize self-response to the census, and efficiently follow up with those who do not respond.
Previous Census Data