Tenant-Based Rental Assistance Program (TBRA)
Program PurposeThe primary purpose of the Federally funded HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME) Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) is to assist low-income individual households who need to help paying their rent. The program also provides assistance with security deposits. All applicants must be referred to Grants & Housing Department (G&H) by a local non-profit social service agency. No application will be accepted without a referral.
Rental Assistance & Security Deposit Restrictions
Rental assistance will be provided to the applicant (not the unit). Assistance will be provided for one (1) year (no re-application). Applicant must pay $50 or 30% of the household monthly adjusted income of the rent amount, whichever is higher. Security Deposits may not exceed more than twice the monthly rent.G&H is responsible for ensuring that every individual and family admitted to the HOME TBRA program meets all program eligibility requirements. The applicant must provide any information needed by G&H to confirm eligibility and determine the level of the applicant's assistance.
To receive HOME TBRA funds applicant must:
- Have a direct referral from one of the local non-profit social service agencies
- Qualify as a family as defined by HUD
- Must be a legal resident/citizen of the United States
- Must be a City of Galveston resident
- Have income at or below HUD-specified income limits
Tenant Waiting ListG&H staff must review each completed preliminary application received and if the preliminary application is complete, the applicant will be placed on the waiting list.
PLEASE NOTE: Placement on the waiting list does not indicate that the applicant is, in fact, eligible for assistance. A final determination of eligibility will be made when the applicant is selected from the waiting list to submit a full application and the required information.
Approved Applicant(s) will receive a Rental Assistance Coupon. He/she must locate an acceptable rental unit within the City of Galveston Limits or enter into a new lease in existing acceptable rental unit.
Please call (409) 797-3820, or send an email to TBRAProgram@GalvestonTX.Gov for additional information.
Contact the following local non-profit agencies for referrals to the program:
- Gulf Coast Center (GCC clients ONLY) (contact Deinisha Tryals), (409) 944-4345
- Salvation Army, (409) 763-1691
- St. Vincent's House (contact Amber Evans), (409) 765-2210
- Access Care of Coastal Texas (ACCT) (HIV clients ONLY), (409) 763-2437
- Galveston ISD Special Programs (contact Mary Patrick), (409) 766-5177
- Woman, Inc. (contact Case Mgmt), (713) 417-4898
- The Children's Center Inc. (contact Debra Washington), (409) 765-5212
- The Chosen Ones Outreach Ministries of Galveston, Inc., (409) 497-2138
- Gods Reaching Hand (contact Lewis Toussant), (281) 667-1350