Burglar Alarm Permits
Alarm Permit Application
1. Complete the online application HERE!
2. Pay by phone: 409.797.3647
3. Pay by mail (Make Money order or Check payable to “The City of Galveston” in the amount of $25.00)
Mail the application along with the permit fee to:
The City of Galveston
Galveston, TX 77550
4. Pay in person: applications can be returned to the water department located at 823 Rosenberg along with the $25.00 Permit fee
Residential and Commercial Burglar Alarm Fact Sheet
The Galveston Police are responding to over 3500 false alarms per year. Over 98% of the burglary alarms in Galveston are false. On December 8, 2005 City Ordinance 05-077 was passed making it a violation to operate an alarm without a permit. Beginning January 1, 2006 the following will be enforced:
- Permit Fee – Every residence and commercial business with an alarm that is intended to summon police is required to have a permit. The permit fee is $ 25.00 and must be renewed annually.
- False Alarms – Allowed 3 (free) in a 12-month period.
- False Alarm Fees:
- 4th and 5th False alarm – $ 50.00 each
- 6th and 7th False alarm – $ 75.00 each
- 8th and up – $ 100.00 each
A person who violates a provision of this ordinance (see also #1) is guilty of a separate offense for each day or portion of a day during which the violation is committed, continued or permitted, and each offense is punishable by a fine of not more than $ 500.00 (five hundred dollars).
- Canceling a permit- If you move or have your system disabled you can cancel the permit by writing the Alarm Permit Office, within 10 days, that you are canceling the permit and the reason why at the above address. This needs to be in writing and signed by the permit holder. If you fail to cancel your permit and there are false alarms at that location after you move, you could be the one charged for those false alarms.
- Transferring of a permit – Your alarm permit cannot be transferred to another location or person.
- To Avoid False Alarm Fees – Keep your system operating correctly and updated. Promptly replace or make necessary repairs when it malfunctions. Have your alarm system professionally checked annually.
- A permit is required for each alarm location.