ROW Utility Permits

UPDATE: Utility Permits

All applicants emailing utility permits in the right-of-way must now submit them online to the City eportal. Email your name, number, email, and company address. A contractor number with instructions on how to register for an account will be provided to you. All other permits regarding driveways, sidewalks, curb and gutters, and all other work on private property must contact development services.

Utility Permits in the right-of-way include

  • Overheard lines
  • bore, trenching & hand digging
  • replacement and new install of vaults, handholes, & cabinets
  • excavating for fiber and conduit installation
  • Soil samples/geotechnical bores
  • replacement and new install of utility poles and collocation to existing poles
  • Small cell (4G/5G) nodes
  • Commercial tie-in to existing city utilities in the R.O.W  (contact utilities division for residential tie-ins)*

We encourage all applicants for utility right-of-way permits to visit the City of Galveston's official GIS website to view public utilities and CIP Infrastructure Projects Page to avoid any conflicts with CIP projects that are in design and construction. 


See Utility Permit Sequence form for full list of required documentation.
  • For installation of utilities, detailed TX P.E. drawings showing depths, scaled dimension drawings of proposed poles, as well as any other proposed equipment associated with the proposed installation, indicating spacing from existing curb, public right-of-way line, driveways, sidewalks, light poles, off street pathways, existing public and private utilities, and any other poles or equipment
  • Construction and installation methods to be employed for protection of existing structures, fixtures, and facilities within or adjacent to the public right-of-way and the dates and times the work will occur, all of which are subject to approval of the City Engineer
  • The bond amount will be in accordance with the linear feet of proposed buried line x 100. Example, if the proposed buried line is 300ft. then the bond amount would be $30,000. If the proposed buried line is less than a 100ft. then the minimum bond amount is $10,000 respectively
  • Code of Ordinances
  • Insurance information : Article VI. - Utility Construction in Public right-of-ways Sec. 31-281 (a)(5)(a.)
  • Article VII. - Network Nodes in Public Right-of-Ways Sec. 31.302. - Applicable fees and rental rates to the city
Applicant registration for utility permits in the right-of-way
  • Email and provide the following:
  • Name, number, email, company address, site address, type of work proposed, who the work is performed for
  • Accela registration steps will assist you in completing your online registration once a contractor number is provided to you

Eportal registration for permit submittal & payments online

The permit holder must keep a copy of the permit posted visibly at the work site and make it available for inspection upon the request of any city employee.

If a person violates any provision of the permit, the City may issue a written Stop-Work order to the violator, directing any work or activity authorized to be done under a permit to cease until the violation is corrected. Upon receiving a Stop-Work order, the permit holder must immediately stop all work authorized under the permit, but may take steps necessary to secure the site.

It is unlawful for any person to continue work under a permit after receiving a Stop-Work order or receiving notice that a Stop-Work order has been issued, or to resume the work or activity until the City withdraws the Stop-Work order.