- You are Here:
- Boards & Commissions
- Families, Children & Youth Board
Families, Children & Youth Board
- 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Second Tuesday of every month
- McGuire-Dent Recreation Center Conference Room
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes
Barbara Sanderson, Executive Director of Community Outreach, is the city's staff liaison to the committee. To contact her please call, 409-797-3707.
Mission & Organization
The mission of the Families, Children, and Youth Board is to promote the physical, academic, psycho-social, and character development of all families, children, and youth in the City of Galveston.
- To encourage an active citizenry of all ethnic and religious groups to participate in leading the direction of change by involvement on the Board and Task Force Committees
- To collect and study community concerns around issues involving health, education, intervention, prevention, and city infrastructure through town meetings, neighborhood focus groups, task force studies, data collection, and provide feedback to City Council annually
- To become knowledgeable about the needs and services provided to families, children, and youth
- To develop and present to the COGFCY Board systems and policy recommendations for its deliberation and then forward those assessments to the City Council
- To present an annual report to City Council setting forth grassroots citizen concerns with respect to families, children, and youth, and potential action plans
- To regularly inform citizens through City Council meetings, local TV, community workshops, and the city newsletters of system and policies changes that improve the lives of its families, children, and youth
Note: The foregoing is not intended to usurp the powers and rights of any agency or organization, but to encourage greater dialogue around community issues that have been prioritized through citizen input.
Task Force Groups
The Families, Children, and Youth Board will utilize the expertise of the task force groups to study community issues and make recommendations to the board for its consideration. The task force groups are composed of one or more board members and community consultants who are not board members. The chair of each task force group shall be appointed by the Executive Committee.
Task Force Activities Included
- City Infrastructure Task Force: Alamo Renaissance Zone, Zone Inventory, Improve Parks, City Parks Report Card, Signage, Down on the Sidewalk and In the Gutter Program, Rain Drain Gangs, Clean Alley programs, and 1000 Cottages Concept.
- Education Task Force: Education (ED) Fest, BESTT Student Match Program, Character Counts I’m Down with Rosenberg, and Good Morning My Friend (Student Enrichment Concept).
- Health Task Force: Hosted student health fair and screens, previewed Galveston Miles Walking program, and hosted Old School Days.
- Renaissance Zone: "Zone" initiatives will focus the city and neighborhood resources on improving the quality of life in the City of Galveston within a designated geographic area.
- Safety Task Force: School traffic patterns around school, parking for faculty and parents, You be Safe - Passage for School Age Children, and No If, Cans, or Butts.
- Substance Abuse and Addiction: Mitchell Initiative; After School Alliance with Boys and Girls Club, enhance tutoring programs offered through GISD, launch FAST (Families and Schools Together) program at Central Middle School Renaissance Zone, and reestablish the teen court system in Galveston, Safe Haven, and Cottages.
- Youth Leadership Task Force: Annual Youth Summit, Youth on Parks and Recreation Board, and Youth Advisory Board subcommittee, and Communities in Schools.
Reports to the City
Reports to the city are available annually.
Most Recent Report | View All Reports