Public Works - Sanitation Division
COVID-19 Operations Update:
The City of Galveston’s Sanitation Division is operating with a reduced staff. Large debris piles that would require a litter truck (claw) will not be addressed until further notice. These services have been suspended. Residents can take their debris and deposit it at the Transfer Station for free (up to 1,000 lbs) which requires a valid i.d. and current water bill.
The recycling center is operating normally.
|Day of the Week||Where|
|Monday||West End of Island to 7 1/2 Mile Road|
|Tuesday||7 1/2 Mile Road to East Side of 51st Street|
|Wednesday||West Side of 51st Street to East Side of 31st Street|
|Thursday||West Side of 31st Street to East End to Island|
Below is the holiday schedule for 2020:
- New Year's Day, January 1: Trash will not be picked up on Wednesday, Jan. 1. The routes will run one day behind the usual schedule. Wednesday's route will be picked up Thursday, etc.
- Martin Luther King, January 21: Trash will not be picked up on Monday, Jan. 20. The routes will run one day behind the usual schedule. Monday's route will be pick up Tuesday, Tuesday on Wednesday, and etc.
- Memorial Day, May 27: Trash will not be picked up on Monday, May 25. The routes will run one day behind the usual schedule. Monday's route will be pick up Tuesday, Tuesday on Wednesday, and etc.
- Labor Day, Sept. 7: Trash will not be picked up on Monday, Sept. 7. The routes will run one day behind the usual schedule. Monday's route will be pick up Tuesday, Tuesday on Wednesday, and etc.
- Veterans' Day, Nov. 11: Trash will not be picked up on Wednesday, Nov. 11. The routes will run one day behind the usual schedule. Monday's route will be pick up Tuesday, Tuesday on Wednesday, and etc.
- Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 26: Trash will not be picked up on Thursday, Nov. 26. While City Hall is closed Friday after Thanksgiving, the sanitation department will have crews picking up Thursday's route on Friday.
- Christmas Day, Dec. 25: Trash will not be picked up on Friday, Dec. 25. Wednesday's route will be picked up on Thursday and Thursday's route will be picked up on Friday.
The Sanitation Division of the Public Works Department seeks to provide a safe and clean community environment for the protection of public health through establishing and maintaining an efficient system if refuse collection with an emphasis on Customer Service.
Bulk Item Pick-up
Do you have heavy items like appliances, furniture, or large piles of tree limbs and brush? Good news! We are now picking up bulk trash on your regularly scheduled trash day. Simply set your bulk curbside or in the alley next to your trash cart and we will send a litter truck through on your regularly scheduled trash day to pick it up. Any appliance that has freon must have the freon removed and tagged by a certified technician and red-tagged before Sanitation can remove them.
Do you need an additional cart?
You may submit your request online. If you have any questions about your cart(s), please contact us!
When you sign up for water service, you must also sign up for trash service (All residential accounts must be serviced by the City. Only commercial, industrial, etc.. are authorized to have a private hauler). The Customer Service Division typically completes a work order when establishing service that is sent to the Public Works Administration office. From there, your work order is processed and normal delivery time is 7 to 14 business days. While you are awaiting your cart, your trash may be placed out in bags or boxes and you will still receive service.
Repairs or Replacements
Do you have a broken wheel or lid? Rusted wheels? The Sanitation Division can repair or replace your broken cart. This process normally takes 7 to 14 business days. A work order is submitted on your behalf for a crew to come out on one of your regularly scheduled trash days to complete the repair(s) or replacement. Request a repair or replacement for your cart online.
Lost or Stolen Carts
When you cart is lost or stolen, please contact us to begin the process. We can provide you with the cart serial number(s) assigned to your address, should you wish to search for it. Our Sanitation crew will also try to locate your cart within a 2 to 3 block radius. If you or our crew are unable to locate the cart, we can issue you a replacement cart. The replacement fee is $55. This charge would appear on your water bill after the replacement cart has been delivered. Should your cart resurface at any point in the future, we will refund your replacement fee.
Extra Carts are an additional charge of $5.00/per cart per month that will appear on your water bill. An authorized account holder must make the request through the Public Works office. Delivery normally takes 7 to 14 business days.Request an extra cart online. We do limit the number of carts that are allowed. Residential units are allowed up to 4 and Commercial 6.