All entry level and lateral entry applicants of the Galveston Police Department will be required to pass the department’s standard Physical Ability Test (PAT).
The PAT will begin with a 1.5 mile run and will be followed by a 500-meter row sprint. Applicants will be allowed a 25-minute rest period between the two tests. Details pertaining to the standard PAT are as follows:
1.5 Mile Run
Applicants must complete this portion of the test within 15:00 minutes.
500 Meter Row
Applicants must complete this portion of the test within the specified times below:
- 1:48 for Males
- 2:07 for Females
All row tests will be administered on a Concept2 Row machine. The sites below provide information regarding techniques and common errors while utilizing the Concept2 Rower:
Advanced preparation of the PAT is strongly encouraged to ensure optimal results. Applicants should anticipate completing this portion of the examination immediately following successful completion of the written civil service exam.
- Register to take the scheduled Civil Service Exam by contacting the GPD Training Division or the City of Galveston Human Resources.
- Pass the Physical Agility Test which will be held on the same day as the Civil Service Test for those who pass
- Submit the Personal History Statement Personal History Statement and required documents:
- Please right click the following link and select "Save As": download the document (PDF).
- Open the file with Adobe Reader which can be found online.
- Please note the document will not open in the window if you simply click on the link. Most users will see a screen that simply says "Please Wait". If you see that error, please right click the "download the document here", save the file to your computer, and open using Adobe.
- Background Investigation will commence
- Applicants MUST NOT have visible neck or facial tattoos
- Applicants MAY be subject to a Polygraph Exam if their background investigator feels that they have been deceptive during the Background Investigation
- Chiefs Interview / Conditional Offer of Employment
- Physical (Medical) Screening
- Psychological Evaluation
- Galveston PD In-service Academy
- Sworn in as a Galveston Police Officer
Salaries are based on a multiyear step program with annual increases topping out at $77,707.50 for Senior Officer Pay. Officers with prior law enforcement experience may be eligible for up to $73,263.39 (Police Officer V Pay) depending on prior years of service.
View the full list of police salaries (PDF).
Insurance and Sick Leave
The City of Galveston’s standard benefits package includes pension, life, dental insurance, vision insurance, and health insurance coverage. Supplemental insurance is also available.
Officers receive financial incentives for continuing education at the following levels:
Associate Degree – $900.00 Annually
Bachelor Degree – $2,400.00 Annually
Master Degree - $2,496.00 Annually
Intermediate Certificate from TCOLE – $1,200.00 Annually
Advanced Certificate from TCOLE - $2,004.00 Annually
Masters Certificate from TCOLE - $2,496.00 Annually
All uniforms and equipment are provided to new Police Officers upon hire. Thereafter, Officers receive $1,250.00 per year in equipment/uniform allowance.
Shift Differential Pay
Night Watch. Employees in the Patrol Division assigned to Night Watch are eligible to receive $2004.00 Annually.
Officers who qualify pursuant to City policy for bi-lingual pay shall receive $900.00 annually
0-4 Years of Service – 10 days per year
5-14 Years of Service – 15 days per year
14+ Years of Service – 20 days per year