Planning & Development Division
Submitting a building permit application?
The Building Division is located at 3015 Market. Please submit building permit applications, contractor registrations, and inspection requests online using the ePortal. Swimming pool permit applications can be submitted via email. ePortal user guides are available on the Applications, Fees, and FAQs page.
Submitting an application to Coastal Resources or Planning?
The Coastal Resources and Planning Divisions are located at City Hall. Application forms are available on the Applications, Fees, and FAQs page and can be submitted via email. In-person consultations require an appointment.
The Planning & Development Division is responsible for numerous projects which include, but are not limited to:
- Current Planning - Reviewing applications for abandonments, Licenses to Use (LTUs), Planned Unit Developments (PUDs), replats, zoning district and text amendments, variances, and more. Also, permitting for concessionaires and special event vending.
- Zoning - Classifying land in order to responsibly guide the development of land. These classifications, or districts, include additional land regulations in terms of height, setbacks, landscaping, and more.
- Land Development Regulations (LDRs) - Adhering to standards for the orderly development and redevelopment of land and associated public infrastructure, facilities, and amenities in accordance with the "2011 Comprehensive Plan."
- Historic Preservation - Promoting the community’s vision for sustainable preservation by guiding appropriate stewardship of historic resources and compatible redevelopment in locally-designated historic districts. For details, please refer to the "Design Standards for Historic Properties."
- Boards & Commissions - Staffing the Landmark Commission, Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment, and various committees. Meeting agendas and staff reports are available on Agenda Center.
At this time, pre-development meetings take place via conference call every other Wednesday at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00AM. At the meeting, you will be provided general information regarding the City of Galveston’s development process, contact information, applicable codes, applications, and fees. To schedule a meeting, please send a meeting request form, business plan, and list of preliminary questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the map below to find out what a property is zoned. The "Land Development Regulations" are linked below. Article 2 includes a table of permitted land uses, and Article 3 contains more information about each zoning district.