Galveston, TX – October 27, 2020 – The City of Galveston’s Cultural Arts Commission is seeking proposals for public art projects on the island.
These art projects may be funded at any level; however, the emphasis will be on projects with a budget of $5,000 or less. Projects must be completed by the end of the fiscal 2021-2022 year, September 30, 2022.
The Galveston Cultural Arts Commission will recommend to City Council financial support for public art projects within the City of Galveston that meet the criteria. City Council will then vote whether to provide grant support to those projects.
Community members representing the visual and performing arts as well as arts education are appointed to serve on the City of Galveston’s Cultural Arts Commission. The commission will accept proposals until February 1, 2021. Please see the guidelines and directions for submitting proposals included on the next page.
Public art projects may include any artwork that exists in a public space and may be visual arts, literary arts, performing arts, or media arts. Funding is available to both individual artists and collectives. Artists may partner with organizations, but grants will not be made to organizations or institutions.
The public component of the project needs to be located in the City of Galveston. There are no residency restrictions, but City of Galveston residents are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please email all materials to email@example.com
- Application Form
- Artist C.V./ Resume
- Letter of support/permission from all interested parties, including property owner(s)
- Project description including a detailed site plan (not to exceed 1000 words)
- Previous work samples 5-10 related images for visual projects, five minutes of video for performance, writing sample for literary works (not to exceed 2000 words)
- A Proposed Budget with line items for materials, any necessary permits, insurance, and artist fee. Please include any existing funding or in-kind donations
- A proposal for public workshop if desired
- Timeline for completion: Projects must be completed during between June 2021-September 2022)
Proposals will be evaluated by the City of Galveston Cultural Arts Commission and approved by City Council. Proposals will be evaluated along the following criteria:
- On time completion
- Completion on budget
- Maintenance timeline
- Environmental impact
- Aesthetic consideration
- Artistic strength
- Potential impact on audience
- Demonstration of community support
Finalists may be contacted for an interview with members of the Cultural Arts Commission.