GALVESTON, TX – January 13, 2021 – Residents are invited to help select the official City of Galveston flag by voting on their favorite designs.
The City of Galveston’s Cultural Arts Commission last year asked artists to submit designs for a flag representing Galveston. The commission received dozens of flag submissions and selected the top 10 based on certain criteria.
Residents may vote online at galvestontx.gov/cityflag for their top three choices until Sunday, February 7 at 11:59 p.m. The Cultural Arts Commission will take the designs to City Council for a final vote to determine the official city flag.
Please keep in mind these design criteria while voting:
1. Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.
2. Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes.
3. Use 2 or 3 Basic Colors. Limit the number of colors on the flag to three which contrast well and come from the standard color set.
4. No Lettering or Seals. Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal.
5. Be Distinctive or Be Related. Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections. (Source:http://nava.org/good-flag-bad-flag/)
Thank you to all designers who submitted proposals and to our residents for taking a moment to vote.